Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/2381/25817
Title: IAP display: a simple method to identify mouse strain specific IAP insertions.
Authors: Ray, A
Rahbari, R
Badge, RM
First Published: Mar-2011
Citation: MOL BIOTECHNOL, 2011, 47 (3), pp. 243-252
Abstract: Intracisternal A-type particle (IAP) elements are high copy number long terminal repeat (LTR) rodent retrotransposons. Some IAP elements can transpose, and are responsible for ~12% of spontaneous mouse mutations. Inbred mouse strains show variation in genomic IAP distribution, contributing to inter-strain genetic variability. Additionally IAP elements can influence the transcriptional regulation of neighbouring genes through their strong LTR promoter, effecting phenotypic variation. This genetic and phenotypic variability can translate into experimental variability between mouse strains. For example, it has been demonstrated that strain-specific genetic/epigenetic factors can interact to yield variable responses to drugs. Therefore, in experimental contexts it is essential to unequivocally identify mouse strains. Recently it was estimated that any two inbred strains share only ~40% of their IAP insertions. Of the remaining 60%, some insertions will be strain specific, fixed during inbreeding. These fixed insertions can be exploited as genetic markers to identify inbred strains, if they can be identified simply and efficiently. Here, we report the development of a PCR-based system allowing direct acquisition of strain-specific IAP insertions. In a pilot study, we identified 21 IAP loci, genotyped IAP insertions at 9 loci, and discovered two strain-specific insertions that could reliably identify these strains.
DOI Link: 10.1007/s12033-010-9338-6
eISSN: 1559-0305
Links: http://hdl.handle.net/2381/25817
Type: Journal Article
Appears in Collections:Published Articles, Dept. of Genetics

Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.


Items in LRA are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.