Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
Title: Thetford Priory : the unpublished documents of the office of works
Authors: Hall, Jackie
First Published: 2012
Publisher: Maney Publishing on behalf of English Heritage
Citation: English Heritage Historical Review, 2012, 7 (1), pp. 78-93
Abstract: The priory of St Mary, Thetford was one of the foremost Cluniac houses in England, made famous from its foundation up to the Suppression by its association with the earls and dukes of Norfolk. During the course of a current research project on the tombs of the Howard dukes of Norfolk, led by Phillip Lindley, all the relevant Ministry of Works documentation, either in the care of English Heritage Archives or accessioned by the English Heritage curatorial team, was examined. This paper reveals four different types of discovery relating to the buildings and archaeology, and concludes by considering the value of the exercise.
DOI Link: 10.1179/1752016913Z.00000000015
ISSN: 1752-0169
eISSN: 2046-9187
Version: Publisher Version
Status: Peer-reviewed
Type: Journal Article
Rights: Copyright © English Heritage, 2013. This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author and source are credited.
Appears in Collections:Published Articles, Dept. of History of Art and Film

Files in This Item:
File Description SizeFormat 
1752016913Z.00000000015.pdfPublished (publisher PDF)4.7 MBAdobe PDFView/Open

Items in LRA are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.