Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
Title: Spatial exploration and analysis of electricity poverty: a case study of Ibadan, Southwestern, Nigeria
Authors: Adedeji, Adesina Akanji
Supervisors: Jarvis, Claire
Bradshaw, Michael
Award date: 11-Mar-2016
Presented at: University of Leicester
Abstract: Energy poverty is a global phenomenon, with varying intensity across countries. Electricity is unarguably an important source of energy essential in satisfying the demand for modern energy services for socio-economic well-being, households‘ productivity and economic development of a nation. Despite the abundance of energy resources in Nigeria, an estimated 113 million people, representing about 70 per cent of the population, lack access to electricity, while the remaining 30 per cent have only intermittent and unreliable access. The thesis identifies and examines the causes and consequences of energy poverty and the role of energy (specifically electricity) in poverty reduction and as an engine of households‘ economic growth and prosperity. The study provides a pragmatic methodology of Geographic Information System (GIS) as an interface between development studies and energy geography. The thesis contributes to energy geography and resource management based on the deprivation experienced by households attributable to the failure of the public energy service delivery system. The poor reliability of the grid-based system has created an ―energy services gap‖ that is met by alternative costly backup off grid-solution of self-generation of electricity. The use of generators in most households is now the mainstay of electricity provision and has become the electricity provider, while the electricity provider is now standby. Households are consequently climbing down the energy ladder because electricity that is at the top of the ladder is not always available. The socio-economic suppression, depression and deprivation along with the financial burden on households‘ income are the bane of energy poverty in the study area. The study establishes that access is not the problem in an urban area in Nigeria but the inadequacy and unreliability of electricity supply in substantial quantity and reliable quality. To promote living and economic growth, it is desirable that households have secure and affordable electricity.
Type: Thesis
Level: Doctoral
Qualification: PhD
Rights: Copyright © the author. All rights reserved.
Appears in Collections:Theses, Dept. of Geography
Leicester Theses

Files in This Item:
File Description SizeFormat 
2016ADEDEJIAAPhD.pdf7.73 MBAdobe PDFView/Open

Items in LRA are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.