Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/2381/38193
Title: Valsalva using a syringe: pressure and variation.
Authors: Thornton, Hilary Sarah
Elwan, Mohammed H.
Reynolds, Joseph A
Coats, Timothy J.
First Published: 22-Jul-2016
Publisher: BMJ Publishing Group Ltd and the College of Emergency Medicine
Citation: Emergency Medicine Journal, 2016, 33 (10), pp. 748-749
Abstract: BACKGROUND: The Valsalva manoeuvre is commonly used in EDs to terminate supraventricular tachycardia by the patient blowing into a syringe. AIM: To identify whether a specific syringe size can be recommended for use in the ED. RESULTS: 20% of syringes 'stuck' and required high pressures to move. In the remaining 80% of syringes, a 20 mL syringe was the most appropriate size to achieve the recommended 40 mm Hg. Once 'released' plunger position did not make a difference. CONCLUSIONS: Use of a syringe of any size cannot be recommended if a consistent pressure is required.
DOI Link: 10.1136/emermed-2016-205869
ISSN: 1472-0205
eISSN: 1472-0213
Links: http://emj.bmj.com/content/33/10/748
http://hdl.handle.net/2381/38193
Version: Post-print
Status: Peer-reviewed
Type: Journal Article
Rights: Copyright © BMJ Publishing Group Ltd and the College of Emergency Medicine, 2016. This version of the article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-Non Commercial-No Derivatives License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/ ), which permits use and distribution in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited, the use is non-commercial and no modifications or adaptations are made.
Appears in Collections:Published Articles, Dept. of Cardiovascular Sciences

Files in This Item:
File Description SizeFormat 
(ME) ED - VALSALVA - PAPER -final3.pdfPost-review (final submitted author manuscript)619.59 kBAdobe PDFView/Open


Items in LRA are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.