Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
Title: Association between lipid profile and circulating concentrations of estrogens in young men
Authors: Tomaszewski, Maciej
Charchar, Fadi J.
Maric, Christine
Kuzniewicz, Roman
Gola, Mateusz
Grzeszczak, Wladyslaw
Samani, Nilesh J.
Zukowska-Szczechowska, Ewa
First Published: Mar-2009
Publisher: Elsevier
Citation: Atherosclerosis, 2009, 203 (1), pp. 257-262.
Abstract: Objectives: Men show higher rates of cardiovascular morbidity and mortality than pre-menopausal women and this sexual dimorphism may be related to sex-specific effects of sex steroids on cardiovascular risk factors. Unlike androgens, estrogens were not extensively investigated in relation to cardiovascular phenotypes in men. Methods: We examined associations of estradiol and estrone and their precursors (total testosterone and androstenedione) with traditional cardiovascular risk factors (lipids, blood pressure, body mass) in 933 young (median age: 19 years), apparently healthy Polish men. Results: Total estradiol was associated with total cholesterol (p = 0.006) and high-density lipoprotein cholesterol (HDL-C) (p < 0.001) and estrone showed the strongest associations with both total cholesterol (p < 0.001) and low-density lipoprotein cholesterol (LDL-C) (p < 0.001) in the unadjusted ANOVA analysis. In the multivariable adjusted models in which other independent variables were held as constant one standard deviation increase in estradiol level was associated with 6%-standard deviation increase in total cholesterol (standardized β = 0.06, p = 0.038) and 6%-standard deviation decrease in HDL-cholesterol (standardized β = −0.06, p = 0.036). An increase in estrone levels by one standard deviation was associated with respective 12%- and 13%-standard deviation increases in total cholesterol (standardized β = 0.12, p < 0.001) and LDL-cholesterol levels (standardized β = 0.12, p < 0.001) after controlling for other predictors of lipids. Estrone correlated linearly with androstenedione (r = 0.28, p < 0.001) but there was no correlation between estradiol and testosterone. Estrogens retained their independent associations with lipids after adjustment for their biochemical precursors in the multivariable analysis. Conclusions: Increased levels of estrogens are associated with unfavourable lipid profile in men and this association is present early in life, before apparent manifestations of cardiovascular disease.
DOI Link: 10.1016/j.atherosclerosis.2008.06.002
ISSN: 0021-9150
Type: Article
Rights: This is the author's final draft of the paper published as Atherosclerosis, 2009, 203 (1), pp. 257-262. The final version is available from Doi: 10.1016/j.atherosclerosis.2008.06.002
Appears in Collections:Published Articles, Dept. of Cardiovascular Sciences

Files in This Item:
File Description SizeFormat 
manuscript1b_minor revision_3_whole.pdf111.55 kBAdobe PDFView/Open

Items in LRA are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.